Thursday, January 23, 2014
ALA Awards: Deadlines Extended!
New Deadlines: Feb. 3, 2014
A number of American Library Association (ALA) awards and grants have new extended deadlines. Many of these applications are quite short.
- ALA Information Today Library of the Future Award honors a library, library consortium, group of librarians or support organization for innovative patron training programs about information technology in a library setting. $1,500 and a gold-framed citation is donated by Information Today, Inc. Application
- Beta Phi Mu is presented for distinguished service to education in librarianship. $1,000 and a gold-framed citation is donated by Beta Phi Mu International Library Science Honorary Society. Application
- Melvil Dewey Medal honors an individual or group for a recent creative professional achievement in library management, training, cataloging and classification or the tools and techniques of librarianship. $2,000, Dewey Medal and a gold-framed citation is donated OCLC/Forest Press, Inc. Application
- Equality Award honors an individual or group for an outstanding contribution that promotes equality in the library profession. $1,000 and a gold-framed citation is donated by Scarecrow Press, Inc. Application
- Ken Haycock Award for Promoting Librarianship honors an individual for contributing significantly to the public recognition and appreciation of librarianship through professional performance, teaching and/or writing. $1,000 and a gold-framed citation is donated by Ken Haycock, PhD. Application
- H.W. Wilson Library Staff Development Grant is awarded to a library organization for a program to further staff development goals and objectives. $3,500 and a gold-framed citation is donated by H.W. Wilson Company/EBSCO Publishing. Application
- Scholastic Library Publishing Award consists of $1,000 and a gold-framed citation presented to a librarian whose "unusual contribution to the stimulation and guidance of reading by children and young people" exemplifies outstanding achievement in the profession. Application
- Sullivan Award for Public Library Administrators Supporting Services to Children honors an individual with management/supervisory/ administrative responsibility who has shown exceptional understanding and support of public library service to children. A plaque and recognition artifact is donated by Peggy Sullivan. Application